Have an account?

Friday, August 20, 2010

PURE MOTIVES...?!


One day on the ride home, I felt truly confuse, mixed emotions, foreign thoughts skipped through my heart and mind. I ping a good friend and I shared my thoughts with him. I did remember my friend praying for me and my family situation, across the distance between us as well as he was right next to me; My friend then said something I will never forget: "Jamie, this is the time to act according your beliefs, and test if your motives are pure and you may honor God or you just be complaining about it"...
Wow! What a powerful truth!!!! After that moment all my perspective changed.

The thought processes of a child are very different from those of a mature person. A child thinks only of himself and his desires, his wants and needs making up the heart of his world and completely occupying his focus. Certainly for the sake of survival, every baby comes into this world as a narcissist, thinking only of its own needs. But with healthy growth of the mind comes a natural change in focus from inward to outward. The thought life of a mature believer must be well trained because the greatest battlefield for a christian is the mind.

Proverbs 23:7 tells us, "For as he thinks within himself, so he is" (NASB). In other words, what we think about powerfully influences who and what we will become. Our actions, our attitudes and habits are born in the mind, an offspring of the thought life we entertain. We can literally change our life by changing how we think - but we cannot do it alone.  God's standard and guideline for the thought life is very clear and demanding. In fact, it's downright impossible without God's power working at our life.

Philippians 4:8 "Think about the things that are good and worthy of praise. Think about the things that are true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected" (NCV).

After that day, I made a decision to test all motives and thoughts with Philippians 4:8 filter. I feel pretty grateful with the Lord about my friend and may the Lord keep using his life as that day!!  That night I realize  that every single day we choose what we watch and read, the conversations we have and the time we spend in the Word. If our mind is not filled with good, trust me, the enemy will fill it with bad. The human mind will always set itself on something. In this passage, Paul is challenging us to wisely choose that setting, taking charge of our thoughts by inviting the Holy Spirit to empower God's standard for the mind. It is time for us to allow the Holy Spirit free reign in training our mind, harnessing our thoughts and measuring them by God's standard. If we don't make up our mind, our unmade mind will unmake us. In order to live right we must think right.

How about you?  Have you made up your mind?

0 comentarios: